Biking Bridges for girls' education in Malawi

I pledged to cycle across 20 bridges before November 2013 to raise £2000.00 to support girls in secondary schools in North Malawi via the Mamie Martin Fund. My total is £1200.00 pounds as at end November so thanks for helping me to do that! A 1% rise in women’s literacy is 3 times more likely to reduce deaths in children than a 1% rise in the number of doctors.


Wednesday 12 June 2013

Bridge 14 - Tay Bridge


Image by Anne Tavendale
Ready to go!
Team Tay Bridge
The Tay Bridge was biked today with great support from Anne Tavendale and  Dan Champion of Team Bicycles, a group which supports amateur racing cyclists. This was the maiden Bridge voyage of the Brompton and she/he/it performed admirably, a consequence of TLC from Badger Bikes.
You'd never know I'd just been to the hairdresser!

We met this charming family.
Image: Anne Tavendale
The Crossing started with coffee (and pancakes with bacon for me) in the DCA, which is always a good place to meet in Dundee. Then we set off, Anne leading the way. We had to carry the bikes up to the bridge as the lift is still out of order - I was glad to have the lighter Brompton.

After going over and back (call me a 'completer' if you must!), Anne and I continued to Leuchars, meeting a cute swan family en route. That is a lovely bike ride, though, by the time I arrived in Leuchars, I regretted not wearing my padded shorts.

It was such a great trip that I am thinking of doing it again next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment