Biking Bridges for girls' education in Malawi

I pledged to cycle across 20 bridges before November 2013 to raise £2000.00 to support girls in secondary schools in North Malawi via the Mamie Martin Fund. My total is £1200.00 pounds as at end November so thanks for helping me to do that! A 1% rise in women’s literacy is 3 times more likely to reduce deaths in children than a 1% rise in the number of doctors.


Sunday 21 April 2013

Bridge 11 - 'The Bridge to Nowhere', Bellhaven Bay, Dunbar, Scotland

 Robin turning the bike for me in the wind
 21 April 2013
Thanks to Robin MacEwen for the idea, planning (including tide tables), lifting and turning my bike and great images.

 The tide was not as high as we had anticipated but that did mean that my lovely shiny new wheels didn't have to touch the seawater.  The wind was so strong that it was really difficult to ride the bike on the bridge and there was a great deal more posing than cycling.  After a nice picnic, some of it in the JamesBond-like car that Robin has, I enjoyed exploring Dunbar's nooks and crannies.  Then I got the train back (in case anyone thought I had cycled from Edinburgh to Dunbar!) but left my precious spectacles behind, thus starting a whole trauma for me, as I am lost without them.  I am sure I will be reunited with them soon.  Meanwhile, this was number 11 and I have 9 to go.  The next one is the Dean Bridge in Edinburgh on May 10th.  See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment